The local integration of refugees largely depends on the reaction of host communities. The fear of the Other is still taboo.
The aim of the Project is to elaborate a new approach to the integration of refugees at the local level. Foster a greater respect towards refugees, starting from young individuals and through their cultural and local integration, without forgetting the awareness -raising of the local population.
- Identify, develop, test and evaluate an innovative approach towards integration including an active interaction between refugees and the local population in the host communities : build together a common project at the urban district level;
- encourage a stronger active participation of young refugees in the cultural life of the host community. Tighten contacts between refugees and non refugees. Develop the young refugees’capacity to communicate with the local community and become part of it. Facilitate the study of the refugees issue through a cultural dialogue at the local level as well as inter-cultural workshops regrouping refugees and non refugees;
- change some mentalities and the opinion of civil society towards refugees, in particular among young people, by using new instruments of awareness-raising;
- stimulate a greater sensitization in the medias and schools and inside the local community as regards refugees;
- identify and promote good practices insisting on the local integration of refugees in Europe.